Friday, January 20, 2012

Vanilla Creme Brulee


I have been making this recipe for Vanilla Crème Brulee for years – ever since I first saw it in one of my Mum's cookbooks when I was a teenager. It is so good, I don't dare change it – especially since my mum and sister are both huge crème brulee fans and always compare any crème brulee to this recipe!! Praise indeed, however the praise for this recipe belongs entirely to David and Hilary Brown as this recipe is from their cookbook La Potinere. Unfortunately they no longer own the restaurant where this recipe originated from and the book is no longer in print (although you can buy it from select sellers) so I thought it my duty to share it with you.

One thing I have changed (I know) is that I use 6 egg yolks rather than the 5 suggested in the original recipe. There are a couple of reasons for this....Firstly I might be imagining it but I find eggs in Canada to be a little smaller than UK sized large eggs so this extra yolk just seems to make up for things! Secondly, having 6 leftover egg whites is much more convenient to have as I use them for meringues or my Pavlova. I promise you though – it doesn't change the taste in my opinion – if anything it just makes it a little richer and even more delicious!

This was the dessert I made for our New Years Eve party and since it was a special occasion I finished it off with a sprinkle of edible gold and silver leaf for that extra special sparkle and decadence. If you have some I recommend using some for a little extra luxury and food glamour!


Serves 6-7 (depending on the size of your ramekin dishes)

300ml whipping or double cream
300ml 10fl oz full fat milk
½ vanilla pod, split open
6 egg yolks
75g caster sugar
½ tsp good quality vanilla extract
7 heaped tsp demerara sugar
Edible gold and silver leaf (optional)

Preheat the oven to 300F/ 150C/ GM 2.

In a large pan heat the cream, milk and vanilla pod until almost at boiling point.

Meanwhile in a large bowl (I use my KitchenAid) beat together the egg yolks, sugar and vanilla extract until the sugar is mixed in and the mixture is nice and pale. Slowly add the hot cream to the eggs stirring constantly on low speed. Once everything is mixed together sieve the custard into another bowl, or if you have one a large measuring jug.

Fill 6 or 7 ramekins with the custard and carefully skim off any froth that is on top.

Put the ramekins into a large roasting tin and put half way into the oven on a middle shelf. Carefully pour some boiling water into the town until it comes half way up the side of the ramekins. Gently push the tray into the oven properly and bake for 35 minutes. After that time if it wobbles gently when you shake it, it is ready. If not cook for another 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to cool completely in the water before transferring the individual pots to the fridge until needed.

When ready to serve, evenly sprinkle 1 heaped tsp of the demerara sugar over each crème brulee and using either a blow torch or a grill caramelize the sugar until melted, golden and bubbling. Be careful though as the darker the sugar becomes the bitterer it will taste. If using sprinkle over a little edible gold and/or silver leaf for that final touch then serve as soon as the sugar has hardened.


16 comments:

  1. wow.. they look so perfect! would have loved to see a pic with the spoon dug into the bowl :D
    -
    Kavi (Edible Entertainment)
    Ongoing Event:(Kid's Delight - Something Sweet)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kavi!

    I know - I don't know why I didn't....it was only once I was looking at the finished post that I really thought about it! So annoying, especially since they were so rich, and creamy inside! Oh well, guess I'll just have to make some more soon so I can get that pic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I just love creme brulee! One of my all time faves and yours looks absolutely wonderful =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. creme brulee is just so retro but I love it so much... reminds me of dinner parties my mum used to host in the 80's... fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love creme brulee. It's one of those desserts that you just HAVE to have once in a while. This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. MY favorite part of creme brulee, of course, is the sugar on top! I love how thick and rich this looks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love, love, love creme brulee, and vanilla sounds like a great flavor infusion :) Your cracked sugar tops look amazinG!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooooooooooh - yes please!! Creme Brulee is my all time fave and these look divine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. If this is the recipe against which all others are compared, it must be good. Creme Brulee is one of my favorite desserts. Finally got a torch so I can make my own. Yours looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooo, one of my favorite desserts! I love creme brulee anything be it ice cream, cheesecake or what have you but the real thing is always the best and yours looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi first time here and the creme brulee is simply wow :) following you dear and hope you will stop by my blog as well - Look forward :) cheers, Priya

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks everyone! I think Creme Brulee is just one of those desserts that will forever be popular! I know it certainly will be for us - you can't beat it! : )

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just love creme brule and think I should give it a try. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  14. Creme brulee is my absolute favorite dessert. I adore it. This one looks amazing. You have a beautiful site.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...