Monday, January 2, 2012

Bubble & Squeak Cakes with Fried Eggs


First of all.....Happy New Year! I hope you all had a wonderful time saying goodbye to 2011 and welcoming in 2012.

I decided to start off the New Year with a recipe that is a perfect way to use up some leftovers from Christmas, although I realise at this point in time the leftovers are probably long gone! Unfortunately though with everything going on for us with Christmas, Wee One's 2nd Birthday and then hosting a New Years Eve party(!) today was the first chance I got to post it and it's definitely too good a recipe not to include so keep it in mind for next time you have a roast! (Or alternatively buy the ingredients to make this specifically as it is that good!)

Bubble and Squeak is traditionally made using Mashed Potatoes and Cabbage but my version uses finely sliced leftover Brussel Sprouts, which are close enough! Even better is the fact that at Christmas time I make my Brussel Sprouts with bacon and pine nuts which make these even better!

These crispy and golden potato cakes topped with a fried egg make a perfect post-Christmas brunch idea and are so good you will want leftovers just so you can make these up!


Makes 4 cakes so will serve 2-4 depending on how hungry you are!

Leftover Mashed Potatoes – you need roughly 340g/ 12oz
Leftover Brussel Sprouts (with bacon & toasted pine nuts) – a good handful is enough
Salt & pepper
Plain flour – enough just for dusting the cakes
Knob of butter
Drizzle of olive oil
4 large eggs
Tabasco sauce to serve (optional)

Put the mashed potatoes into a bowl and just loosen up a bit with a fork. Chop up the brussel sprouts – it's up to you how finely you want them cut, then add to the bowl with the mashed potatoes. Add the bacon and pine nuts if you have it then season with a good pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper. Mix everything well together then sprinkle the flour on a large plate. Divide the mixture into 4 then put a little flour on your hands and shape the mixture into cakes. Gently coat them in the flour dusting off any excess then set to one side while you repeat with the rest of the mixture.

Heat the butter and oil in a frying pan until hot and sizzling. Carefully put cakes into the hot pan and leave to cook for roughly 4 minutes per side – you just want them to be golden brown and crisp on the outside, and warmed all of the way side. Carefully flip the cakes over and leave to cook on the other side until golden brown.

While the Bubble and Squeak Cakes are frying heat a little extra oil in another frying pan then once hot crack in the eggs. You can either fry them to your liking or if you prefer baste them (by letting them finish cooking in steam). As soon as they are ready put the Bubble and Squeak Cakes on a plate then top with the eggs. Sprinkle over some Maldon sea salt (or similar) then serve at once with some Tabasco sauce if you like things spicy! The perfect way to use up some leftover vegetables and treat yourself to a delicious breakfast!


13 comments:

  1. These look delicious. I might make something similar with leeks as I've just had my online shopping delivered and discovered I ordered two bags of leeks rather than 2 individual leeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They would be delicious with leeks! Sounds like something I would do but since I love leeks so much it wouldn't be a bad thing!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a runny egg with mash, these look very tasty. Sometimes leftovers are better the original!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my idea of a perfect breakfast. I really love brussel sprouts and miss them after christmas has gone. Thanks for posting this - this is tomorrow's breakfast. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks ABSOLUTELY incredible. I love the addition of the fried egg!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look delicious... a perfect way to repurpose leftover mashed potatoes. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great breakfast dish, this looks amazing! Happy New Year! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea with the sprouts and potatoes, sounds delicious. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These sound heavenly! I've never heard of a bubble and squeak cake, and I'm very upset about that now that I see how delicious they are! I love potato anything. I think your addition of brussel sprouts would be even better than cabbage. I sure wish I had this dish right now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds amazing! I love the idea of bubble and squeak with an egg on top!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum! and with a runny egg. Thats lunch sorted for tommorrow. Thanks x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the name of this dish - plus it sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks everyone!

    It's amazing how leftovers can sometimes be better than the original dish! This is so comforting and delicious and for me, a perfect weekend brunch dish! : )

    Happy New Year to you all x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...