Friday, December 30, 2011

Champagne Risotto with Seared Scallops


I'm ashamed to admit it but this recipe was one of my very first requested recipes from one of my best friends. Almost 3 years later I am finally posting it! What's worse however is when I realised that I first made this for her 7 years ago!! How is that even possible?! So perhaps a little late but my excuse (for the past year anyway) was that she was pregnant and so wouldn't get as much satisfaction out of it as it just doesn't seem right to not enjoy a glass of sparkly either while making it or certainly whilst eating it!

For me this is home cooking but with a touch of real extravagance and luxury added in, making it the perfect meal to enjoy on New Year's Eve (or any other celebration where you will be cracking open a bottle of sparkly). I certainly wouldn't recommend opening an expensive champagne for this one but go for something that you are still happy to drink as you only need 250ml for the recipe – the rest is for drinking!

I can't think of a better recipe to end 2011 with and to welcome in 2012. I've had a fantastic year blogging and so thank you all for your continued support and following. I wouldn't continue to write and enjoy it as much if it wasn't for everyone of you! I hope you all have a great New Year and wish you all a very happy, healthy and safe 2012. Cheers! x

2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely diced
2 sticks of celery, finely diced
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
300g/ 10.5oz Arborio or carnarloni rice
250ml Champagne
750-1000ml chicken stock (approx)
2 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
Salt and pepper
4-5tbsp Parmesan, finely grated

12 scallops
1 tbsp butter
Drizzle of olive oil
Salt & Pepper
Pinch of White Mischief*(optional extra)

In a large frying pan heat 1 tablespoon of the butter with the oil until the butter has melted. Sauté the onion and celery gently for about 5 minutes and then add the garlic and cook for another minute or so.

Increase the heat then add the rice, coat well in the butter and onion mix and cook for 1 minute stirring constantly.

Add half of the champagne and stir. Once the rice has absorbed the champagne start adding the hot stock a ladleful at a time. Season and continue adding the stock and letting the rice absorb it before adding more. When the risotto is almost ready add the remainder of the champagne – you want to add this right at the end. Stir well then remove from the heat and sprinkle over the parsley, 4 tablespoons of Parmesan and the tablespoon of butter, cut into cubes. Cover and set aside for 1 minute to let the butter and cheese melt.

While the risotto is sitting at the very end heat a large frying pan until very hot. Add the butter and a drizzle of olive oil. Sprinkle the scallops with a little salt and freshly ground black pepper and if using the White Mischief rub. Add to the pan and cook for roughly 30 seconds per side until they are seared and golden. Remove from the heat and set aside.

Gently stir the finished risotto to mix in the melted butter and Parmesan then serve at once topped with the scallops. Drizzle over any extra butter from the scallops and if needed finish with a little bit of good quality olive oil. Delicious and luxurious all in one dish!

*I used a sprinkle of some White Mischief from my Laura Santtini Alchemist set which is a blend of Smoked China tea with jasmine and orange flowers, chilli and aromatic Sichuan peppercorns. It finished them off perfectly so if you are lucky enough to have it then I definitely recommend using it!


**This dish is also delicious on it's own without the scallops but additionally it goes well with some asparagus or for the ultimate luxurious meal, how about serving it with some freshly cooked lobster?! Amazing!

11 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh!! Champagne and scallops seem like a match made in heaven to me. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see why this dish is requested by your friend. It sounds incredible. I agree that Champagne sounds like the perfection combination with the scallops. Have a good new year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such decadence! Perfect for New Year`s Eve...theresa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Champagne risotto? Oooh my, you have me hooked already, but I'll take the scallops, too ;) What a great dish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't think of a better way to ring in the New Year! What an extraordinary dish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love risotto, love champagne, great combination. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Better late than never!! looks amazing what a combination. Very happy new year!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone! I hope you all have a fantastic New Years Eve and year ahead! : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. how could i make this lemon champagne risotto?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Olivia! My best suggestion would be to simply add some finely grated lemon zest to the risotto. I wouldn't add any lemon juice as it would overpower the delicate Champagne but a little zest will give it a nice lemon twist and zing to the dish. Enjoy!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...