Sunday, December 11, 2011

Spicy Parsnip Soup

I have a confession to make.....I absolutely love a particular brand of tinned Spicy Parsnip Soup...Ok well there is no point hiding it, it's Baxters Spicy Parsnip Soup! It is yet one more thing that is always on my list of foods to have when I am back home in Scotland! I guess it's not a bad confession, after all there is nothing wrong with buying tinned soups, I just always have a niggle about doing so, especially when it is so unbelievably easy to make your own at home! So that is eventually what I started doing....and now I don't know why it took me so long to do so!

All that this soup requires is a little chopping, sauteing and stirring and within 30 minutes you have a big pot of completely delicious soup that is both sweet and spicy at the same time and so warming and nourishing. And best of all, made by you! Ok so perhaps opening a tin of soup and heating it up takes less than 30 minutes but seriously there is no comparison at all in the flavour department, so my advice – set aside a little extra time and make yourself an amazing meal that will have you throwing away the tinned stuff!

1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, roughly chopped
1lb (that's the weight once they have been peeled and trimmed) parsnips peeled and roughly chopped (approx. 625g before trimmed)
1 carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
¼ tsp ground turmeric
½ tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 heaped tsp curry powder
Pinch of cayenne pepper(optional)
500ml chicken stock
Salt and pepper
400ml milk

Crème fraiche or sour cream to serve

In a large pan melt the butter with the oil. Add the onions and sauté for 5minutes before adding the parsnips, carrot and garlic. Leave to sweat gently for another 5 minutes before adding the turmeric, cumin, coriander, curry powder and cayenne pepper (if using). Cook on a low heat for 10 minutes before adding the stock and seasoning. Cook for 10-15 minutes until all the vegetables are soft. Remove from the heat and leave to cool slightly before blending.

Once blended and smooth add the milk and gently reheat before serving. When ready to serve top with a spoonful of crème fraiche or sour cream and an extra little sprinkle of curry powder. Delicious!

6 comments:

  1. this is definitely a keeper! I love parsnips, but my hubby isn't that crazy about them so I'm looking for recipes to change his mind. I think this one might just do it! I know I'd love it. You should enter it in the Food Frenzy recipe challenge (http://blogstew.net/foodfrenzy/tag/.recipe-challenge/) It's a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah Baxter's soup, my fave is Royal Game, although I think they call it Highland Game now, which somehow spoils it for me! Parsnip soup is always lovely esp with some spices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm, sounds gorgeous! I've never had parsnip soup, but I can see it be very creamy. I love spicy soups, so I bet this would be a winner in my kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This just looks so incredible. I am not a huge soup person but this is one I would eat and love. Your pictures are truly gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone!

    mjskit - Thanks for the heads up about Food Frenzy. I tried doing it but it wasn't working properly. Will try again but I may have missed the deadline....

    Janice - I can't believe it but I have never tried that one! On the list for next time I'm home!!

    Kiri - It's such a good soup. It has a lovely sweetness to it from the parsnips and the spices just warm it up and cut through the sweetness perfectly!

    Kim - Thank you so much! I hope you enjoy it if you give it a go : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm these look delicious, thanks for posting up this recipe, looks quite simple to make.


    Simon

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...