Monday, December 5, 2011

Fried Risotto Cakes (Arancini)


It wasn't my intention to do a post for Arancini (beautiful fried risotto balls) but after I made my Mushroom Risotto I had enough left over to make some for a quick and easy dinner the next day. They turned out to be so delicious it seemed a shame not to post them so I quickly snapped some pics before we devoured them! Traditionally they are meant to be little balls but since I had some big slices of mushrooms I decided to make them into cakes instead – you do whatever you prefer! Either way they are absolutely delicious – sizzling and golden crisp on the outside and warm, soft rice on the inside with molten mozzarella oozing from the middle....perfection on a plate! To finish them off I served them with my Basic Tomato Sauce which I spiced up with a finely chopped red chilli to add a little heat. Next time you make risotto I definitely recommend that you leave enough to make these after....in fact it's worth making a big pot of risotto purely so you can indulge yourself with these!

I haven't given specific measurements for the ingredients since it will depend on how much risotto you have but it's easy to adjust to the quantities you need.

Risotto of your choice
Mozzarella, cubed into small pieces
Plain flour seasoned with salt and pepper
1-2 eggs, beaten and seasoned
Breadcrumbs – I used a mixture of normal breadcrumbs and Panko breadcrumbs
Oil for frying

To serve:
Basic Tomato Sauce (with some added chilli if you want some spice)
Salad

Set up a breading station by putting the flour on one plate, the beaten egg(s) on a second and the breadcrumbs onto a third plate. Line a tray or large plate with a little baking parchment and put to one side. Divide the risotto into portions then shape into either balls or cakes. Put a piece of mozzarella into the middle of the cakes and then form the rice around it so that it is completely encased. Take the first cake and lightly dredge it into the flour so it's evenly coated then dip it into the egg. Finish by coating it with the breadcrumbs then place it on the tray and repeat with the remaining risotto.

Heat some oil in a frying pan – I just shallow fry them but if you would rather deep fry the arancini use a deep fat fryer or a large pan – until a piece of bread sizzles instantly when you drop it in the oil. Gently fry the arancini until they are golden and crisp then place on a plate lined with kitchen paper. Eat hot with the tomato sauce for dipping on the side, and if you like some salad. Delicious!

12 comments:

  1. So yummy! Making risotto for dinner this week and will be sure to make extra to use in this recipe! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love risotto, and I love risotto cakes :) Crispy, creamy deliciousness! Yours look absolutely amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy cow, these look good! I can't wait to make risotto again so I can make these for leftovers. These look absolutely delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these beautiful little Italian appetizers--and yours look delicious. Buzzed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made these for the first time last year and they were sooo good. I love your recipe too... I can just imagine what they tasted like x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love being able to take leftovers and make a whole new dish!! These sound so comforting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look lovely. I've been toying with the idea of making these risotto balls too lately, but can't be disciplined enough to leave any risotto left over! Your post has slapped me on the wrist though, and I will make a real effort next time. They look lush.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks amazing! I have been known to order a complete meal just to get a side of these babies. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good gosh! I just had dinner but if only I had these right not. Perfect and I so love your blog and your spicy event. Linking you on to my link page so I don't lose track of your wonderful creations.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all so much! I have to say it is definitely a close call between what I like best - the original risotto or these delicious little treats!! The melted mozzarella in the middle tips the scales slightly in favour of these but it is a tough one - just as well I get to enjoy both whenever I make risotto!

    Lisa - Thanks for adding me to your link page and please feel free to enter Sweet Heat as many times as you like and also to spread the word about it!

    Thanks again everyone! : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. i actually made these quite recently! but I baked them instead, hehe less fuss. and it was with barley risotto so im not sure if they're still called arancini ...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmm Arancini are so sinfully delicious! Love this!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...