Wednesday, December 21, 2011

The 12 Days of Christmas ~ Day 9: Christmas Bruschettas

I thought I should probably take a break from all of the sweet treats I have been making for Christmas and my 12 Days of Christmas and post these delicious Christmas Bruschetta's. I'll be making these on Christmas Day to serve at lunch time (along with our Broccoli & Nutmeg Soup) but again they also make a fantastic starter. If it's easier you can grill the bread ahead of time so all you have to do is put on the toppings. Pretty, festive and very delicious!

Goats Cheese & Pomegranate


More pomegranate but I just can't resist its stunning sparkly gems and delicious taste. It works so perfectly with the tangy goats cheese and provides a wonderful refreshing taste and pop of flavour when you bite into it.

I haven't given precise measurements for any of these recipes since it depends entirely on how many people you are feeding and how much you want to make.

Ciabatta bread (or something similar)
Olive oil
Garlic, clove(s) sliced in half lengthwise
Goats cheese
Lemon zest
Fresh parsley, finely chopped
Pinch of Maldon Salt and black pepper
Pomegranate seeds

Slice the ciabatta into fairly thin slices (roughly 1cm thick) then drizzle with some olive oil. Toast the bread using a paninni press or under the grill until just golden then remove and rub a little of the garlic on it before allowing to cool.

While the bread is toasting, in a small bowl mix together the goats cheese with some lemon zest and a good sprinkling of fresh parsley. Season then mix together using a fork. Taste to check everything is balanced and adjust if necessary.

Spread the goats cheese over the ciabatta then sprinkle over the pomegranate seeds. Finish with a drizzle of good quality extra virgin olive oil then serve and watch them disappear in a flash!


Gorgonzola, Bresaola & Rocket


For some reason, I always think of blue cheese as being fairly Christmassy. I'm not entirely sure why – whether its because we used to always get some lovely Stilton as a present (along with some delicious condiments and chutneys), or the fact that there is always a cheese board at some point over the Christmas period that always includes it.... I can't decide my reasoning but anyway, for me this Gorgonzola, Bresaola & Rocket Bruschetta is the perfect wintery, Christmassy Bruschetta!

Ciabatta Bread (or something similar)
Olive oil
Garlic, clove(s) sliced in half lengthwise
Rocket leaves (arugula)
Gorgonzola or other blue cheese of your choice
Bresaola ham
Spritz of lemon juice
Freshly ground black pepper
Extra virgin olive oil

Slice the ciabatta into fairly thin slices (roughly 1cm thick) then drizzle with some olive oil. Toast the bread using a paninni press or under the grill until just golden then remove and rub a little of the garlic on it before allowing to cool.

When ready to assemble simply put a little rocket on each piece of ciabatta then top with a slice of cheese. Spritz with a little lemon then top with a slice of ham. Finish with a grinding of black pepper (optional) and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. This is a bruschetta not to be messed with!


Mozzarella & Chilli


This is just my classic Mozzarella & Chilli Bruschetta that I make in the summer, the only difference being I've used parsley instead of basil but I thought since it's a favourite of mine it has to be included at Christmas time – especially since the natural colours of the dish are perfect for Christmas time!

Ciabatta Bread (or something similar)
Olive oil
Garlic, clove(s) sliced in half lengthwise
Mozzarella
Red Chillies (or if you like you can use a mix of red and green), finely chopped
Fresh parsley, finely chopped
Maldon sea salt (or other finishing salt)
Extra virgin olive oil

Slice the ciabatta into fairly thin slices (roughly 1cm thick) then drizzle with some olive oil. Toast the bread using a paninni press or under the grill until just golden then remove and rub a little of the garlic on it before allowing to cool.

Tear the mozzarella into pieces then top the ciabatta with it. Finish off by sprinkling over the chopped chillies, parsley and salt then drizzle over a little good quality extra virgin olive oil. My favourite!






8 comments:

  1. Oh my. So many choices. I didn't mind the sweet treats at all, but am glad that these were given as options as well. :) I've never heard of Bresaola ham, but seeing it up there makes me want to go out and find it. It's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are fabulous! I love bruschetta but always make the same couple of combinations--I appreciate the new ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your pomegranate and goat cheese bruschetta. Yum! Two of my faves in one dish. I love pomegranate seeds but never thought to do them with a bruschetta. What a great idea. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look so good. I love bruscetta, all those tasty toppings. Off to order some pomegranates.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of these would be perfect for a holiday party! They're gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favorite is the first one for sure...so colorful and pretty. Plus I love that you used pomegranate on bruschetta! I never would have thought of that. These all look amazing though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The mozzarella and chili sounds like a great idea, and the pomegranate seeds look so pretty, too. These look great for entertaining!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...