Monday, December 19, 2011

The 12 Days of Christmas ~ Day 7: Pomegranate Sorbet


Day 7 of my 12 Days of Christmas and I couldn't resist making a beautiful sorbet using seasonal pomegranates – a favourite in our house! This makes a lovely and light dessert or you could serve it as a palette cleanser during courses. Simple to make, delicious to eat!

125g sugar
125ml water
500ml pomegranate juice
Squeeze of fresh lemon
Pomegranate seeds for serving (optional)

Put the sugar and water in a small pan and gently heat until the sugar has completely dissolved. Leave to simmer for 10 minutes to make a sugar syrup then set aside and allow to cool completely.

Pour the pomegranate juice into a large jug and add a good squeeze of lemon juice (I would say roughly half a lemon). Once cooled add some of the sugar syrup – the amount needed will depend on the tartness of your pomegranate juice and your own individual tastes - and taste to see if it needs more lemon. Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker* and churn following your manufacturers instructions until frozen and smooth. Transfer the sorbet to a freezer-proof container and keep until needed.

Remove the sorbet from the freezer about 10 minutes before you want to serve to allow it to soften a little then serve in individual glasses. Top with some fresh pomegranate seeds if you like and for total extravagance top up with some sparkly wine for the ultimate light and easy sparkly dessert!

*If you don't have an ice cream maker simply put the juice mixture into a freezer-proof container and put in the freezer. After a couple of hours take it out and mix it up really well then return it to the freezer. Repeat that process then allow to freeze completely.

12 comments:

  1. Mmmmm, yes, I can see having this mid-meal. I'd probably be snagging Hubby's share as well. It looks glorious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, I have to try this. This is absolutely stunning. Buzzing ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can put away a lot of pomegranates if given the opportunity, so I know this is something I would enjoy eating if not become addicted to. This ruby red dessert definitely gets my vote-yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love pomegranite. This would look really festive and beautiful served at Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is stunning Lynds, you may be top 9 again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These lovely pictures look delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous! We're having a bit of a pomegranate theme this Christmas - the colour is so festive, isn't it? I may have to squeeze your recipe in somewhere as I love sorbet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all so much. It seems we can't get enough of this in our house as my husband polished off the last batch last night so will have to make some more! It's so refreshing and delicious but then I am a huge pomegranate fan!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had a sample of this at a food festival featuring POM. It was amazing and I went back up for sample after sample. So happy I have a recipe to make myself. Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds amazing! Can't wait to bust out my ice cream maker for this one =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks gorgeous! I have never had pomegranate sorbet, but I can just imagine how great it must be. Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...