Friday, August 5, 2011

Crispy Calamari


I absolutely love calamari but I used to be intimidated by it since there is nothing worse than chewy, overcooked calamari. However, I have since realised that it is in fact easy to make and even better, is the ultimate in fast food.

On a hot summer day I can't think of anything better than a plate of delicious calamari enjoyed outside with a cold glass of white or rose wine or an ice cold beer, so since the sun is finally shining bring out the calamari!

Serves 2 as a shared starter/ light lunch

300g Squid cut into rings* (Normally I just buy frozen squid & let it defrost)
6 tbsp flour
3 tbsp cornflour
1/2 tsp sweet paprika
pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
Salt & freshly ground black pepper

Vegetable or canola oil for frying

To serve:
Cooling Tzatziki, Spicy Mayo or Cheat's Aioli
Lemon Wedges

Cooling Tzatziki
1/4 cucumber, deseeded & grated
1 small clove of garlic, crushed
1-2 spring onions, finely chopped
125ml natural yogurt
1 tsp fresh dill, finely chopped
salt & pepper

Spicy Mayo
1/3 cup mayo
1 tbsp siracha hot sauce


Make the dipping sauce(s) of your choice and set aside until ready to serve.

Heat the oil in a medium to large pan – you need roughly one and a half to two inches of oil.

In a large sandwich bag mix together the flour, cornflour, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt & pepper. Rinse the squid and dry slightly on some kitchen paper before adding to the bag with the flour mixture in it.

Once the oil is 350F/ 180C (If you don't have a thermometer you can test it by adding a small piece of bread – if it sizzles instantly then it is ready, if not let it heat up a bit more) add the squid in batches and cook for roughly 60 - 90 seconds until crisp and golden. Drain on kitchen paper and keep warm while you cook the rest of the calamari.

Serve as soon as the last batch is cooked with the dipping sauces and some wedges of lemon. Fast food at its finest!

*I know 300g might sound like a strange amount but it just happens to be the size of bags I buy. That being said it is very easy to double the recipe for say 500g squid.

15 comments:

  1. Very good! That looks very tasty. I think the cornflour would be what does it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so great! I would go with tzatziki.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look FAB! I love calamari, though I don't know if I'd be brave enough to make it myself. But your photos are so appetizing maybe I will have to now ;)

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe this will give me the motivation to make my own fried calamari. Usually it is a kind of specialty reserved for vacations on Cape Cod, but I think my family would go crazy for this if I made it for dinner! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The calamari looks great! I don't even think about trying to make them...I am afraid that I won't get it right! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always loved good calamari, but also afraid to try to make it myself, sounds easy enough, maybe it's time to try, thanks for the inspiration and the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love fried calamari like this, but I hate deep frying. I find it's such a waste of oil and I don't know how to dispose of it. What do you do with the leftover oil?

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks so good! Last time I had calamari was in Cambria, California! It was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everyone!

    I have to say I was so intimidated as well of making it at home but honestly it's so easy and tastes just as good if not better!!

    Maya - Im the same, I very rarely fry food. For this I tend to shallow fry the calamari in batches using less oil. I normally use the oil about twice (although with the calamari you have to keep it for calamari as it smells slightly of fish!) then I tend to just put it in a recycled bottle or container Ive kept and put in in the bin. Keep it shallow then you waste less. Hope that helps : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will definitely try this! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely photo, wanted to order it from your 'menu' straight away!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love them! Greetings from Milan, Italy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you all for your lovely comments (and sorry for the late response!)

    Thank you for the greetings from Milan! I love Milan! : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. Like the touch of spice in the coating. Very calamari addicted myself!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...