Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Lemon Drizzle Loaf

Every picnic needs a cake and what better than a light and zesty lemon loaf that is melt-in-your-mouth delicious and super easy to make?! Since I'm not much of a baker I used a recipe from Tana Ramsay that I saw on the BBC Good Food website for a basic lemon cake and I have to say it didn't disappoint! I had to vary the cooking times slightly as it took longer to bake than suggested in the recipe but that could very well just be down to my oven! The cake lasted no time at all however what did survive the day were just as delicious over the following days! A must for any picnic, or anytime you fancy a slice of lemon loaf with a cup of tea!!

225g unsalted butter, softened
225g caster (super fine) sugar
Zest of 1 lemon
4 large eggs
225g self-raising flour

For the topping:
Juice of 1 1/2 lemons
85g sugar

Pre-heat the oven to 350F/ 180C. Lightly butter a loaf tin then line with baking parchment (greaseproof paper).

In a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a free-standing mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add the lemon zest then slowly mix in the eggs, one at a time. If using a Kitchen Aid or other free-standing mixture, scrape down the sides of the bowl to make sure everything is evenly mixed. Once all of the eggs have been added add the flour, a little at a time until it's all incorporated. Don't over beat the mixture. Add the cake mix to the lined loaf tin, level the top so that it's even then bake in the pre-heated oven for 45-50 minutes (mine took closer to 60 minutes) or until a skewer comes out clean (with no cake mixture on it).

Make the topping by combining the lemon juice and sugar together in a small bowl. While the cake is still warm prick lots of holes in it using either a skewer or a fork then drizzle over the topping. The idea is that the juice will keep the cake lovely and moist, and not to mention lemony(!) while the sugar forms a nice crisp topping. I found mine did that although certainly not as much as in the photograph of the original recipe – however it was still delicious with the perfect balance of sweet and sour!

Leave the cake in its tin to cool completely then when ready to serve, remove and cut into slices. For a picnic you could either cut the slices and wrap them individually for everyone or just wrap up the whole loaf and don't forget a knife!

24 comments:

  1. Beautiful!! I bet this was so moist and delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love lemon bread. That sounds like it has plenty lemon in there to really taste great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the VIBRANT yellow! So pretty

    ReplyDelete
  4. That it just gorgeous! I love the bright color, what a refreshing treat this would be!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lemon is my favorite summer flavor :) This loaf looks delicious! I love the bright color. You are right...perfect picnic food.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous looking cake! The lemon sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm....my favourite cake. Love how bright the colour is. This cake would be great for any time. I must make one day to share with my friends. Thanks very much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Citrus is perfect for summer. This loaf looks so delicious and is such a vibrant color. I want to make a loaf for breakfast or to go with my coffee. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the idea of a simple pound cake for a picnic! This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am going to have to make this. I love lemon. It looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. looks lovely. I ate loads of this after i had a baby (when extra calories were allowed!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. beautiful! and such a vibrant yellow colour! I bet it tastes delicious

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, that looks good. I love anything citrus and this recipe definitely includes a bunch of that! I've found that if I want the glaze to make a crust on a cake, I have to brush it on instead of pouring it. Maybe a combination of the two would get the look you saw and wanted?

    ReplyDelete
  14. This reminds of of the Lemon Lemon Loaf from Baked: New Frontiers in Baking. Looks just as yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow that sounds amazing...I love lemons. They make some of the best summery treats!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The effervescent yellow just screams "eat another slice!" Paired with coffee or iced tea - you just can't go wrong. Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks so good. It reminds me of one I buy at a bakery when I am in the city. Just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks everyone!

    It is such a delicious and moist cake it's hard to only eat 1 slice! The beautiful colour comes mainly from the amazing local eggs I used, and of course from the lemon!

    Hmmm think it's time for me to make another one! : )

    ReplyDelete
  19. It looks so moist and tart! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow that looks so delicious! I am definitely making this one. I love a good lemon loaf. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  21. so good and very MOIST YUMMMMMMY :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...