Friday, September 9, 2011

Char-Grilled Steaks with Basil Hollandaise


During the colder Winter months Sunday's traditionally involve roasts or stews in our house, but in the warmer months nothing can beat a steak char-grilled on the coal barbecue. This recipe is a slight variation on the popular Steak with Bernaise Sauce, which to me is just as good - if not better!

I never thought I would say it but I have to admit this is one of my favourite meals. Before I got together with my husband I didn't eat that much red meat and certainly wouldn't go and buy myself a steak. Now however, I virtually crave steaks and furthermore it has to be medium-rare at most although if I'm being completely honest these days I'm leaning more towards the rare side! Nothing can beat a good quality steak perfectly seared on the barbecue served with a rich and delicious homemade hollandaise sauce. The addition of the basil is optional but being such a basil fanatic I can't resist. If you can't get fresh basil you could use parsley or chives instead or just miss the herbs out completely. If you can't grill the steaks on a BBQ then use either a hot griddle pan or failing that a regular frying pan.

Serves 2

2 Steaks of your choice – Strip Loin is a favourite of ours
Maldon sea salt & freshly ground black pepper (or try seasoning them with some Porcini Salt)

Hollandaise Sauce:
150g butter
2 large egg yolks
½ tsp white wine vinegar
Good pinch of Maldon sea salt
1 tsp cold water
8-10 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
Squeeze of lemon juice

To make the hollandaise sauce melt the butter in a small pan. Once it has melted skim off any white solids on the surface then set aside and keep warm. Put the egg yolks into a small bowl that will fit over a pan then add the vinegar, salt and water. Whisk for a minute or two until it is starting to thicken and turn pale then put the pan over a pan of barely simmering water, making sure the bottom of the bowl doesn't touch the water. Continue to whisk the eggs for a few more minutes until they are pale and thick. Remove the bowl of eggs from the heat then slowly drizzle in the melted butter, whisking continuously as you do, until all of the melted butter is incorporated and you have a perfectly smooth and thick sauce. Taste to check the seasoning then keep warm until you are ready to serve. Right before serving squeeze in a little lemon juice and add the basil. If the sauce is a little too thick for your liking add a little hot water until it's the consistency you want. Serve at once.

To cook the steaks season them with a little salt and pepper. Preheat the barbecue to medium-high then grill the steaks for 3-4 minutes per side for medium-rare. Remove from the heat then cover loosely with foil and leave to rest for at least 10 minutes. (If cooking the steaks on a griddle or frying pan heat the pan until hot then sear the steaks as above).

Once the steaks have rested serve at once with the basil hollandaise sauce either drizzled over the top or if you prefer in a separate dish on the side. To finish things off serve with some potato wedges and a crisp, green salad.

9 comments:

  1. This looks amazing! The steak looks perfectly juicy and who doesnt love hollandaise on everything?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing what those boys do to our eating habits! I love a good steak, medium rare as well! This looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steak is one of my all time favourite foods. And rare is definitely the way to eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone!

    Erin - it's so true! Although this is one change in my diet that I'm very happy about!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks amazing. I love the basil hollandaise sauce with it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never tried making hollandaise sauce, but this sounds tempting with the basil, I will give it a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks great-hollandaise always makes me a little nervous, but I love the basil twist!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all!

    Tiffany & Cucina49 - I used to be the same with Hollandais sauce but it is actually easy - especially my version! Give it a go and let me know how you get on : )

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...