Monday, September 26, 2011

Roasted Peppers & Chillies

Another recipe that isn't really a recipe but is something that shouldn't be missed. These peppers have infinite possibilities which is why they are so good. I eat them on warm toasted garlicky ciabatta smothered with goats cheese, tossed through pasta and risotto, on pizzas and with sausages. They are also ideal as part of an antipasto platter.

I prefer to char my peppers on the barbecue as it gives them a delicious smokey flavour, however you can always roast them in a hot oven or even under the grill. The main thing is you want to blister the skins and turn them ash black which you later peel off, leaving the juiciest, delicious peppers possible.
Sine its pepper and chilli season just now and I have 8 chilli plants all producing lots of chillies I added a couple of large mild green chillies to my peppers which is totally an optional extra. For a spicy version you could add some hot chillies or if you prefer made the original recipe then you can change and adapt it later on adding fresh chillies and garlic. However you decide to make these, you'll love having them in your fridge and wonder why they weren't there before.


1 red pepper
1 yellow pepper
1 orange pepper
2 large, mild green chillies
Olive oil

Prick the peppers and chillies with the tip of a sharp knife (just a few times) to stop them from exploding on the barbecue! Put them all on a hot barbecue (or as noted above in a hot oven or under the grill) and let them really char on all sides. You want them to get as black as possible. As soon as they are black all over put them into a bowl and cover tightly with cling film (Saran wrap), or alternatively pop them into a large sandwich bag and seal. Leave them to steam and cool for at least 10 minutes. Once cooled simply start peeling the skin away from the peppers and remove the stem and seeds. Don't wash them as you will loose the delicious smoky charred taste. Once you have peeled all of the peppers and chillies simply cut them into long thin strips then put into a jar that you can seal. Top with olive oil then eat them whenever you want some delicious, roasted peppers.



17 comments:

  1. Crave worthy on the bread with cheese. Oh my! Looks so delicious. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yeah. that sounds awesome on the ciabatta with goat cheese. delish! I'm kinda jealous you have so many chilies. Never had much luck growing them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh yum. I bought a jar of roasted peppers that I added to the quiche I was making, bet they weren't as good as your.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will definitely give it a try, looks yummy, thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not sure how you manage it but I am always starving after reading your recipes Lynds ;-)
    Love the taste of roasted peppers with olive oil and goats cheese and so very easy to make.
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooh yum, great snack, good idea to have a jar to keep so you can pull it out when you fancy it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone - your comments are all so lovely and I appreciate them all so much : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this! A little spicy in my roasted peppers sounds perfect for fall to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I...must....try...this!!! This is fantastic! Simple but I bet it tastes incredible. Thanks for showing us this one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want some too! Time to go to the markets and then light some charcoal! Love the blog, am now a happy follower.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those peppers look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it! I also have an abundance of chili peppers. This is a great way to use them. Look forward to reading more of your posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you all so much - I'm delighted you like the recipe so much! And a big welcome to my new followers - great to have you onboard! : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you thank you thank you for this! I have a mound of freshly-picked peppers on my counter that I've been trying to decide what to do with. My pepper plants have been producing non-stop since June, and I'm running out of ideas!
    I am def going to make this :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...