Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Spaghetti with Cherry Tomatoes, Chilli & Basil



It is the height of tomato season just now so I felt it necessary to warn you now that there are going to be a lot of tomato recipes coming up for the next couple of weeks! Apologies to those of you (my husband in particular!) that don't like tomatoes or can't eat them, but please bear with me!!

I of course am delighted that tomato season is finally in full force and can't get enough of them! My husband has been away a lot recently with work so I have been able to indulge myself with plenty of fresh tomatoes that I don't have to puree!! I've already made Tomato Ketchup and Slow-roasted Cherry Tomatoes (recipe will follow soon!) and of course I've been eating lots of Fresh Tomato Pasta, including my Spaghetti with Cherry Tomato Sauce and this Spaghetti with Cherry Tomatoes. What I love most about this recipe is that it is so light and fresh as it is a raw sauce using perfectly sweet and juicy cherry tomatoes. It also takes no time at all to make – just as long as it takes you to cook the spaghetti – so it's a perfect meal to have mid-week. Serve on its own or if you prefer with a green salad and some crusty bread.


400g spaghetti
450g cherry tomatoes – if you can try and get a variety of colours and shapes
1 red chilli, finely chopped (de-seeded if you prefer a milder taste)
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil – the best you have
Maldon sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
Small handful of fresh basil leaves
Freshly grated parmesan cheese to serve

Cook the spaghetti in a large pan of boiling, salted water according to the packet instructions. While the spaghetti is cooking prepare the tomatoes by cutting them in half or for larger ones into quarters. Put the tomatoes into a bowl then add the chilli, red wine vinegar, 3 tbsp of the olive oil and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Mix everything well so that the tomatoes are evenly coated in the dressing.

Just before draining the spaghetti add a tablespoon or two of the cooking water to the tomatoes. Drain the spaghetti then add to the tomatoes. Add the basil leaves, reserving a few for a garnish then toss everything together. Serve at once with the extra basil leaves and some freshly grated parmesan.


13 comments:

  1. Oh my! That is a beautiful plate of pasta. I am craving this now. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all the vibrant colors in this dish. I bet it taste amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both so much. It's definitely a favourite of mine at this time of year when there are so many flavourful tomatoes around.

    Enjoy! : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so delicious! Very fresh looking and healthy. I feel your pain; my boyfriend says he doesn't like tomatoes (doesn't stop him eating spag bol/lasagne and other things I sneak tomatoes into though!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Healthy and delicious...a perfect weeknight meal. I love cherry tomatoes in pasta dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. colourful looking spaghetti very summery

    ReplyDelete
  7. this seems like much simpler way to get the same flavors in my fav dish. And the cherry tomatoes are ummm the cherry on the cake?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone! Your comments make my day!

    Catherine - It's so frustrating isn't it?! If I puree tomato sauces he'll eat them but this would be a definite no-go! Oh well, all the more for me!

    Raquel - too funny!!! But spot on ; )

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm doing the same as you! Tomato post after tomato post! But I love them too and I don't care. This looks great - love the addition of chili

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh... this is a lovely, lovely recipe! It sure makes good use of the abundance of cherry tomatoes at this time of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How beautiful those multi-coloured tomatoes are, they really make this dish special.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you! Super delicious (and very colourful for serving)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...