Friday, September 16, 2011

Blueberry Pancakes with Blueberry Maple Syrup


My third pancake recipe on this blog but I couldn't resist as we have been eating so many wonderful local blueberries recently and so of course I had to make Blueberry Pancakes! What really makes this special however is the Blueberry Maple Syrup. You can use frozen blueberries if you can't get fresh ones but I recommend trying this delicious breakfast before blueberry season is over. Treat yourself this weekend with these pancakes – its what weekends are for!



Makes approx. 16 pancakes

210g/ 7 ½ oz/ 1 ½ cups all-purpose or plain flour
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
400ml Milk
2 eggs
3 tbsp melted butter, cooled
175g/ 6oz/ 1 cup fresh blueberries, plus extra for serving

Blueberry Maple Syrup
250ml maple syrup
175g/ 6oz/ 1 cup blueberries

To make the blueberry maple syrup put the maple syrup and blueberries into a pan and gently bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and allow to simmer until it has reduced and thickened and all of the blueberries have popped open and softened. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly. I like to strain my syrup so that its smooth but if you prefer you could keep the blueberries in for a thicker, chunkier syrup. Keep warm until ready to serve.

In a large bowl mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl or jug combine the milk, eggs and melted butter. Whisk well then add to the dry ingredients. Mix everything together until smooth then add the blueberries and mix in.
 

Heat a griddle or frying pan then drizzle a little extra butter into your pan. Ladle some of the mixture onto your cooking surface, leaving room for them to spread. Cook for roughly 2-3 minutes until you have lots of small bubbles on the surface then flip the pancakes over and cook for another 30 seconds to a minute or until they are golden. Keep the cooked pancakes warm and continue making pancakes until you have used all of the batter. Serve warm with the Blueberry Maple Syrup and some fresh blueberries.


15 comments:

  1. Wow, I wish I had a giant stack of these for breakfast right now! This post is making my stomach growl. This is the right way to start off the morning, thanks for sharing =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Free Spirit Eater! It's my pleasure. To be honest I could do with a plate of these right now as well....oh well will just have to wait 'til tomorrow! Have a great weekend : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious! An ideal breakfast in bed, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooh. Blueberry maple syrup sounds so delicious. I have to try this over the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is bad...really bad, you should have not shown me this...;) so glad its the weeeekend, pancake saturday coming right up! excited to catch up on the rest of your posts!
    -karly
    www.karpluswade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now I am really going to miss all those fresh blueberries! This is nothing but heaven on a plate-simply delicious. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all!

    Lacy - Breakfast in bed - with this?! Wow, now that would be the perfect start to the day!!

    ICanCookThat - it's so easy and makes the pancakes even better!

    Thanks Karly - I hope you enjoy my other posts!

    Thanks Tina! I know what you mean - I managed to sneak this in since our blueberries have been a bit later this summer but I know I won't be able to get such delicious, local ones for much longer....better make up another batch tomorrow though - since they are still around - wouldn't want to waste them!! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want my hubby to make this for me now... I think I will go and buy some fresh Blueberries...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your quick and easy way to make blueberry syrup! I'm sure it's so amazing with fresh, local berries!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yum... I would love to wake up to a fresh batch of these in the morning... Now if only I could convince someone to clone me and the clone could do all the work... hehe! They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely Autumnal breakfast! Maple Syrup and Blueberries what a lovely combo!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely love blueberry syrup, I make it the same way. Perfect for any time of the year, even if you don't have fresh!

    ReplyDelete
  13. mmm...blueberry maple syrup. Reminds me of our recent trip to Maine. These pancakes look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh these look wonderful - I'm going to have them tomorrow. What better way to celebrate it being ..Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you all so much!

    Christina - you are absolutely right - this is delicious all year round and you could easily use frozen blueberries when fresh aren't available.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...